Chai Vanilla Chia Pudding



    I'll admit it, the first time I tried chia seeds, I was weirded out by the fact that they are the same seeds that we typically spread on some funny terra cotta statue and watch it grow.  Chi-chi-chi-chia!  Yes, it's the same stuff.  I also overdid it and found out that they are a VERY effective form of fiber (use your imagination on that one).  So on the top shelf in the pantry is where they've sat until I was brave enough to try them again. 

    I came up with this version today, because I had a sudden streak of courage and wanted a flavor I knew I would enjoy.  I couldn't believe it, but by golly I came up with something that worked!  It wasn't too liquidy (my usual problem) nor too thick, it was actually just like a pudding.  Ok, a pudding with little seeds in it, but a thick pudding none the less. 

    So, what did I use, and am I suffering for my foray into the world of chia pudding again?  Well, so far so good.  I think the portion control was a good idea so that I really couldn't go way past my chia tolerance level.  This was so rich and filling, the other portion is still happily sitting in the fridge.

    You will need:
    Put the almond milk in a small sauce pan, and put the tea bag in the almond milk.  Make sure you have your string safely away from the flame or cooktop!   Put the heat on low, and bring the almond milk up to a slight simmer.  Swirl the tea bag around once in a while, you'll see the almond milk start to darken.  Stir the almond milk often to prevent it from burning.  You don't need this to come to a boil, just very warm, almost hot, with some bubbling on the sides of the sauce pan.  Turn off the heat, and let the tea bag steep in the almond milk for 10 minutes, stirring every once in a while to prevent a skin on top. 

    Squeeze out the tea bag after removing it from the almond milk.  You want as much of that fabulous chai taste as you can get!  Add the vanilla extract, and EZ-Sweetz, and taste to see if it's sweet enough.  Adjust as needed.  Pour in the chia seeds and they should sink as you lightly stir it.  When the chia seeds have sunk, pour or ladle out your mixture into glass containers.  I made this as two portions, but if you're new or sensitive to chia, you might want to make this into three portions.  Cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, overnight is fine too.



Labels: , , ,