Fiery Mushroom Skillet Frittata



  
   One of my favorite parts of being on a low-carb diet, is that eggs get a major thumbs up!  I've always loved eggs, and I'm not particularly picky about them, but even I can find myself kind of bored with them at times.  I don't need them to be fancy, and most of the time I just throw some leftovers in a pan, then drop some eggs over it, and call it an everything but the kitchen sink scramble, but something that's visually appealing is more likely to keep me from falling into a boredom rut and reaching for something carby.

    I lack the gentle finesse needed to make an omelet.  I have yet to make a folded piece of egg, that holds tasty ingredients inside, like a neat little egg envelope.  I gave up trying a long time ago, and just kept making my throw everything in a pan scrambles.  They're good, but man do they look kind of rough.  One day a long time ago, I saw someone on a cooking show make a frittata.  She had my rapt attention, until she put it in the oven.  Don't get me wrong, a good breakfast is worth the extra effort, but I thought surely there had to be an easier way to make a cohesive piece of egg with a lot of good stuff in it.  I was right!  I played around with a few ideas and came up with a way to make a cross between a frittata and an omelet right on the stove top.  No crazy omelet pan or special spatulas needed.  In fact, I usually just stick to my usual cooking utensil, the tablespoon. 

    Have I piqued your interest yet?  I hope so!  I'll feature more of my "skillet frittatas" in the near future since it's a common complaint among us low-carbers that we're bored with eggs.

    For this recipe,  you'll need:
    Before you begin, make sure you have a good non-stick skillet, and a lid that fits it.  One of my sauce-pan lids happens to fit my skillet perfectly.  I use a 7-8" skillet, but you can go smaller if that's what you have. 

    In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive or coconut oil until it shimmers (gets little ripples). Add the mushrooms and chopped onions to the pan, along with the chipotle pepper powder, black pepper, and salt.  While that's cooking, beat the 3 eggs in a small bowl with either the heavy cream or water, whichever you prefer.  This helps to keep the eggs a little lighter.  Stir the mushrooms and onions around, but give them a chance to brown.

    When the mushrooms are browned and tender and the onions have softened, lower the heat to low.  If the pan looks really dry, add a tiny bit more oil and swirl it around.  Move the mushroom mixture so it's more toward the outside of the pan.   Gently add the eggs to the pan.  This is where you'll see how my nifty tablespoon comes in handy.  Slowly work the edges of the egg to the middle by taking the spoon and placing it between the egg and the side of the pan, and guiding the edge up and in toward the center just a little, allowing the liquid egg to pour underneath.  I do this about an inch at a time all around, slightly tilting the pan in the direction I want the egg to go.  I promise you this sounds way more complicated than it is.  Do it gently to keep the egg as one piece. 

    As you do this, the bottom of the frittata will start to set, and the mushroom mixture will end up toward the center.  Once you have a nice base formed, but the top still has a bit of wet egg, sprinkle in the chopped cilantro, place the pepper jack cheese on top (if using), lower the heat to very low, and place the lid.  This will melt the cheese and set the remainder of the egg.  After a few minutes, remove the lid.  If your egg hasn't completely set yet, put the lid back on and give it another minute or two.  When it's all set, remove it from the heat, and using the tablespoon again, go all around the bottom of the edge to free it from the pan.  Give it a little shimmy to make sure it's all in one piece, and then slide it out onto a plate.  Garnish with a little more chopped cilantro, and enjoy!

Labels: , , , ,